From 1st June 2013, all homes in Spain will be required to have an Energy Performance Certificate. (EPC)

From that date onwards, it will be illegal to rent, sell or advertise for sale or rental any property that doesn’t have one. (Even holiday rentals have to comply). This is not optional – it will become law from 1st June 2013 and everyone selling or renting a property will have to have one.

The homeowner will be responsible for obtaining and paying for the certificate, which will be valid for 10 years. They will also be given recommendations to help improve the energy efficiency of their home with the aim of getting it up at least one level in the energy efficiency scale. This certificate must then be made available to prospective tenants or purchasers.


There are 7 energy ratings, from the most efficient (A) to the least efficient. (G) The inspector will compile a report that rates how energy efficient your home is and give recommendations on how to improve energy efficiency.

No it won’t. You can still sell your property.

No. It will be illegal and the sale will not be allowed to complete at the Notary without one.

The EPC is valid for 10 years.

A qualified architect or technician.

No, you don’t have to do anything.

The government can fine properties being advertised for sale or rent that don’t have one.

This depends on the size of your property. Below is a price list based on the square meterage.

Up to 90m2 220 euros
91 – 120m2 255 euros
121 -180m2 285 euros
180 – 300m2 315 euros
DETACHED HOUSE Price including IVA
Up to 90m2 220 euros
91 – 180m2 265 euros
181 – 240m2 310 euros
241 – 350m2 340 euros
351 – 500m2 370 euros

Need Help?

If you would like FABFINCAS to arrange your EPC, please contact Steve or Claire at our office on the following telephone numbers

(0034) 965 474 314 or (0034) 675 218 436 or email: